Steamboat Property Owners Association (SPOA)
Minutes of December 15, 2014 Board Meeting
Members Present: Tom Dugan, Bill Hibbard, Paul Longsdorf, Gary Pon, Bill Sauter
Members Absent: Rich Danter and Reese Hillard
Guests: Fred and Candi Garrison
The meeting was held at Gary Pon’s home. Bill Hibbard called the meeting to order at 9:10am.
- Architectural Control Committee Checklist: Following a review and discussion of an internal checklist for use by the SPOA Architectural Control Committee the checklist was deemed appropriate by the board for use by the Committee.
- Complaints Regarding Short Term Renters: The Garrison’s distributed and reviewed a summary pertaining to the City Code and nightly rentals. Barbara Wheeler 871-8274 firstname.lastname@example.org is responsible for Code enforcement. The City will not enforce HOA Bylaws or Covenants. A violation is any police interference in an incident that results in a report. In order for a report to be forwarded to Code Enforcement, complainant must sign a statement at the time or in a timely fashion i.e. next day. Violators are subject to a fine of $250/day for the first violation, $500/day for the second violation and $1,000/day for the third violation occurring within one year. Homeowners making short term rentals should discuss who pays the fine with their management company. After a third violation City Planning may forward to the City Council which could result in the homeowners permit being revoked for 1-2 years. Bill Sauter pointed out that we have a form for owners use to request board approval for making short-term rentals. Following discussion the board decided that a letter to homeowners should be prepared and enclosed in the regular annual mailing to owners regarding the 2015 assessment. Gary will draft a letter and forward to the board for review and approval.
- Suggestion to mail Bylaws and Covenants to Owners: Recognizing that all owners may not have a copy of the SPOA bylaws and covenants in spite of the fact that realtors are supposed to provide same at closing, the Garrison’s suggested that the SPOA mail a certified copy of each to owners. The most common issues coming before the board and architectural control committee are owners making improvements to their property without notifying the committee and short-term rentals. Following discussion it was decided that an appropriate notice to owners will be drafted for inclusion in the annual mailing to owners. Gary will draft a notice and forward to the board for review and approval.
- Need for Legal Review of SPOA Bylaws and Covenants: The Garrison’s suggested that the board consider retaining legal counsel to review the Bylaws and Covenants and recommend revisions to the Board. It was suggested the name of the Architectural Control Committee be changed to the Architectural Review Committee. No action was taken on this issue. Bill Hibbard will contact a title company to ascertain the date(s) of the latest versions of the Bylaws and Covenants of record with the County.
- Date and Location of 2015 Annual Meeting: Following a brief discussion it was decided that Gary Pon will contact the Ore House regarding scheduling a room for this meeting on Monday, February 2, 2015.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at approximately 1030am.
Gary Pon, Board Secretary