March 24, 2015 Board Meeting Minutes
The meeting of the board of directors was called to order at 4:00 in a library conference room.
Present: Sanders, Stafford, Korch, Baer, Mosher, Dermody, Pon
- Minutes of the last meeting on 10-7-14, were reviewed and approved.
- There was no treasurer’s report. Korch later reported the balance in our Wells Fargo checking account as of March 9th was $3441.64 and that we have a bill from State Farm for our insurance due May 1.
- Gary presented his spread sheet showing each members status in regards to needed training. We have several volunteers that need first aid training and cross cut sawyer training. USFS is having new employee orientation the first two weeks of June and we will be offered slots in their time frame to get our first aid training. Gary gets our thanks for producing this valuable tool.
- Bill Sanders has the radio log book and as soon as the Friends of the Routt Backcountry are done with their winter patrols on Rabbit Ears Pass we should be able to obtain their small radios for distribution to our volunteer rangers for the summer.
- This year’s volunteer orientation will be held on Thursday, June 18. Robert Scifres has volunteered to conduct the orientation for new volunteers and it was thought we could run the orientation for present volunteers concurrently so we could finish at the same time and then have our group cookout at Fetcher Park.
- Returning member and former President, Suzanne Munn has agreed to be our Social Coordinator and will be in charge of the cookout.
- Thanks to Bill Sanders, we are hosting an FOW booth at the popular Farmers Market on Saturday, June 13th and Saturday, July 4. It was suggested that we offer to take a limited number of the interested potential volunteers we contact there, on a casual early season hike such as Mad Creek, to introduce them informally to what kinds of work we do and perhaps gauge how serious they might be. In addition, Bob Korch and Win Dermody will try to organize some kind of social/educational event, to be held in the spring, (May) that might include a film and/or outdoor gear demonstration. These events would be used to try to inform the public about our mission and recruit volunteers. In reviewing our recruitment efforts for 2014, we discovered the need to check all the names received during the year and forward them to Win so the website roster can be brought up to date.
- A beautiful first draft of a marketing brochure was presented by Tom Baer. He worked in conjunction with Karen Pharris to produce it. A copy was given to each member to take home and look over. Any suggestions should be made to Emmett. After review we can produce some quantity to be handed out at our upcoming events. A “recruiting” poster was also presented.
- We have not yet received the written summary of the Board Retreat from Chad James. Bob has a call in to him. As soon as we have it will get distributed to the board.
- The board favored accepting donations and the new brochure will have a “tear off” form to send in to our P.O. Box with a donation. The board did not address the issue of membership dues at this time.
- Misc. Items:
- Kent advised us that all FOW volunteers must attend a “safety event” conducted by Rich Levy, before anyone can go out on trail patrol or do trail work this season. More specific information will follow.
- Several suggestions were made for improving the website the most important of which is to make sure our listing of volunteers (roster) is correct and up to date.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 8 at 4:00 at the library.
Leave a Reply