Steamboat Property Owners Association
Minutes of March 4, 2016 Board Meeting
Members Present: Rich Danter, Tom Dugan, Paul Longsdorf, Gary Pon, Marcia Pryde and Bill Sauter
Members Absent: Bill Hibbard
The Meeting was held at Gary Pon’s residence at 5:00pm.
- Colorado Common Interest Ownership Act (CCIOA)-The board reviewed and discussed a summary of the meeting that Gary Pon and Bill Sauter had with Jason Yanowitz and a list of “action items” pertaining to CCIOA compliance. The board had previously agreed that regardless of whether the association is subject to CCIOA, most of the policies, procedures, rules and regulations included in the draft resolution appear reasonable and should be adopted. At the same time the board recognizes that there is still a looming question as to whether the association is subject to the many administrative ramifications of CCIOA, some of which do not seem to make sense for our small possibly unique association (e.g. reserve policy, reserve study, physically posting notice of meetings, preparing an annual budget, etc.). The doubt regarding the applicability of CCIOA stems from an inability to determine whether the association is the legal owner of the greenbelts depicted on the association plot document. Jason Yanowitz indicated that he would be willing to research this matter for us at his hourly rate and that he didn’t think it would require a lot of time. A motion was made and seconded that we spend up to $600 to have Jason attempt to answer this question for the board. Following discussion, the motion passed with a vote of 4:2 in favor of the motion. Gary will follow-up with Jason to request that he perform this task. In discussing the action items it was agreed that Bill Sauter will revise the wording in the resolution pertaining to the association reserve policy. The board agreed that the budget and financial statement that Bill Sauter prepared for 2016 was fine as presented. The board agreed that meeting notices would be posted on the eight mail cluster boxes within the subdivision boundaries should the association be subject to CCIOA. The board agreed that we would amend the declaration to provide that future amendments could be made with approval of 51% of all of the owners in the association, which would meet CCIOA requirements. The board acknowledged that we will need to amend the bylaws to provide that an annual meeting will be held at a date determined by the board which will conform to the wording in the resolution. Following a discussion regarding the language in the declaration regarding liens, it was agreed that we will not propose any changes to this language as the process has been very workable in the past for our association. It was agreed that the request to receive email notifications form prepared by Bill Sauter was fine as is for use by owners. It was agreed that the application for approval of construction, alteration or improvement on a lot was fine as presented. It was agreed that the list of board members contact information was fine as presented. Recognizing that the number of people attending meetings in the future might grow, Rich Danter suggested that we could use the owners lounge on the first floor of the Grand subject to availability.
It was agreed that subject to Jason Yanowitz’ further research, the following items will be included with the annual meeting mailing to owners:
- Cover letter
- Changes to bylaws
- Changes to declaration
- Description of process for approval of changes to bylaws and declaration, respectively
- Annual budget
- Reserve policy/study
- Board resolution pertaining to CCIOA
- Request to receive electronic notifications
- List of board members and contact information
It was agreed that subject to Jason Yanowitz’ further research, the following revisions need to be made to the bylaws:
- Owner meetings may be called by 20% of the owners (bylaws state 25%).
- Annual meetings will be held at a date determined by the board (bylaws state in June).
- Board meetings should include notice to owners.
It was agreed that subject to Jason Yanowitz’ further research, the following revisions need to be made to the declaration:
- Amendment of the declaration requires approval of 51% of all owners (declaration states 67% of owners present at a meeting with a quorum).
- Remove/modify provision regarding antennas, aerials or satellite dishes (section 8 (d).
- Allow for use of electronic mail with owner approval.
- Website for Association-Gary mentioned that he has requested information from Association Online regarding services offered and estimated costs for use of their website for our association.
- Application for Short-term Rental-A brief discussion was held regarding an application for short-term rental recently received from Andrew Boyd for the property located at 1462 Clubhouse Dr. Based on a review of owners with property within 500 feet using the subdivision plot plan it was determined that a copy of the application was not sent to 11 owners with property within 500 feet. It was agreed that Gary will send a letter to Mr. Boyd thanking him for his application and requesting that he send a copy of the completed application to the 11 owners. A list of the names and addresses for these owners will be included.
- Annual Meeting Date-Bill Sauter reported that he has had some inquiries pertaining to when the annual meeting will be held. Gary will send an email to the board requesting their availability in June for an annual meeting. The current bylaws require at least 20 days and no more than 50 days’ notice to owners.
Meeting adjourned at 6:45pm.
Gary Pon, Secretary