Steamboat Property Owners Association
Minutes of April 6, 2017 Board Meeting
Present: Rich Danter, Tom Dugan, Bill Hibbard per telecom, Paul Longsdorf, Gary Pon, Marcia Pryde, and Bill Sauter; Guests: Tara & John Yohannan, Tom & Jeanne Whiddon, Mark Edelfelt, Mark Stine, and Ryan Van Ness.
Marcia Pryde called the meeting to order at the Steamboat Grand at approximately 4pm.
- Approval of Minutes-Postponed until minutes are completed.
- Guest Comments–
Mark Stine indicated he was attending this meeting on behalf of Barry Wallach who is the trustee for the Owner of 1190 Memphis Belle Ct. to express opposition to the application for short-term rental (STR) by Nathan Halprin at 1210 Memphis Belle Ct. Marcia informed Mr. Stine that board consideration of the Halprin application will be scheduled at a future date and Mr. Wallach will be notified when a date is scheduled.
Ryan Van Ness, Owner of 1615-17 Cornice Ct., indicated that he attended this meeting to hear the discussion on short-term rental as he is considering applying for approval of short- term rental at 1617 Cornice Ct.
Tom Whiddon and Mark Edelfelt attended the meeting to support the Yohannans application for STR.
- Yohannan Application for STR-Tara Yohannan indicated they have lived in Steamboat for 16 years and owned the duplex at 1330 Mark Twain Ct. for 3 years. Having managed long-term rental properties in the area, they have experience as landlords. They purchased 1332 Mark Twain Ct. with the thought that their parents would move in, but when this didn’t materialize, they decided to apply for STR to help defray the expense of owning the property. Tara indicated that since they live in one side of the duplex they will be very diligent about managing the other side if approved for STR. Tara mentioned that Owners of property adjacent to their property wrote letters in support of STR at 1332 Mark Twain Ct. A board member pointed out that the board had received numerous written and verbal comments from Owners on the application. Specifically, 8 “yes” or “qualified yes” and 10 “no” comments about the application. John estimated the rental side would be occupied about 100 days per year. A lengthy discussion ensued. It was moved and seconded that the application for STR be approved subject to the following conditions:
- The unit will not be rented while the Yohannans are out of town.
- Only two cars will be allowed during a rental.
- There will not be an outdoor hot tub.
- If the SPOA board receives any more than two complaints of violation of the covenants, the board may revoke this approval for STR.
- This conditional approval for STR will be revoked if the Yohannans move from the adjacent unit or sell either side of the duplex.
Upon a vote by secret ballot, the motion was approved by a vote of 4 to 3.
- Adjournment-It was moved, seconded and unanimously approved that the meeting be adjourned at approximately 5:10pm.
Gary Pon, Board Secretary
Leave a Reply